Monday, October 4, 2010

Michael Clarke: From pup to top dog


It is almost six years to the day since a 23-year-old blonde-streaked boy called Michael Clarke walked into bat on his Test debut at Bangalore. He walked the walk too, smashing India's spin attack to all parts with a scintillating 151 which included four sixes. His elegance at the crease and good looks made batting look ridiculously easy that day. With his proud parents watching from the side, Darren Lehmann even offered to give up his place after witnessing the innings.

Suddenly, everyone wanted something from "Pup". There was constant media attention for the golden balls of cricket and sponsorships were coming faster than a Flintoff book release. He loved his self-image: Michael Clarke the entertainer. "I wanted everyone to like me, to love the way I played - just the way I loved watching the way Slats [Slater] batted."

Six years on and a look at Clarke's personal stats suggests someone who has continued in the same vain, decapitating attacks with a flourish. However, nothing could be further from the truth. The man from New South Wales learnt pretty early on that Test cricket wasn't as easy as his debut home and away Test centuries suggested.

After scoring 541 runs in his first five Tests, the dasher began to lose the thread against weaker opposition. He left for his first Ashes series, still lauded as the next great thing, but with only 118 runs to his name from the subsequent seven matches.

The magical mystery tour of 2005 was to showcase what was right and what was wrong with his game. Temperamentally, he became too easily embroiled with the opposition, and, despite almost scoring a century at Lord's, the rest of the series contained exciting cameos followed by disappointing dismissals. The leave alone to Simon Jones that flattened his stumps still lives long in the memory. He was stylish even when misjudging.

After another poor series against the West Indies, Clarke was dropped. Trevor Hohns, the then chairman of selectors, said: "We think it's time to give him a break and to go back to domestic cricket to clear his head so that he can bat the way we know he can." Ricky Ponting, who knows a thing or two about being called the next prodigy, felt his team mate was guilty of trying too hard.

Clarke himself admitted this week that he was devastated at being left out. "I asked Punter if I could fly home that night. We won the Test, but if I stayed, I would have dragged everyone down. I went straight from the airport in Sydney to Mum and Dad's and I was just shattered. There's no other word for it," he said.

His father's words were a turning point. Essentially, Clarke Snr told his son it was either flight or fight. There was only one choice and it changed everything. "I know my game better. My shot selection has improved out of sight, my disciplines off the field have improved enormously. My preparation is always my No 1 focus. Before I was dropped, I didn't know how to prepare."

Since 2006 and the Ashes revenge mission that England don't like to mention, Clarke has been superb, averaging in the mid 50s with 12 centuries. He has turned into an accumulator, shedding the Hollywood shots. If this has disappointed some who bought into "The Entertainer" then so be it. Longevity is what Test cricket is about. The boy realised and turned into a man.

Clarke was feted as captain before he was barely out of Test diapers, and England have teased him something rotten as a "jobseeker." However, the 29-year-old has always been quick to defend Ponting, the man who counselled him through the rough times. I make it very clear to [Ponting] that anything he needs I am there for him 24-7," he said. "Anything he needs off the field, on the field, I will be there for him."

No comments:

Post a Comment